It’s no secret that I love burrito bowls (which you’ve no doubt realized if you follow me on IG). Mostly because they’re fast to make, and allow me to use up whatever is lingering around in the fridge. But without the right combo of flavors they can be somewhat bland, especially if you’re not used to cooking tofu. So if you’re looking for a variation on my original Sofritas & Burrito Bowl, then look no further.
The sauce for this tofu whips up extremely quickly in a blender, or in a wide mouth jar with an immersion blender. The result is both sweet, and spicy with undertones of orange and garlic, similar to that of Mexican carnitas which inspired this recipe.
The key is to allow the tofu to simmer in the sauce until it has reduced completely and the tofu begins to brown and caramelize, which adds depth of flavor and texture.
Once you’ve got the tofu underway the rest is really a matter of preference. I like to use a base of steamed rice and mixed greens, one because it cuts down on the carbs, and two, because we need to eat more greens. And if you are going with rice, pop that into the rice cooker first and both your tofu and rice will be ready at the same time. When it comes to toppings, the sky’s the limit (figuratively of course). Try some of my favorites like Guacamole, Chipotle Salsa, or the Tahini Lime Sauce and Corn Salsa in my original burrito bowl recipe.
A squirt of fresh lime, some chopped cilantro, and chunks of ripe avocado and you’re good to go. All you’ll need is a cozy blanket and a decision on what to watch on Netflix. Which in all honesty might take longer than preparing this actual recipe, or is that just me?
- Zest of 2 oranges
- 1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 3-4 chipotle peppers in adobo *See Notes
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 16-ounce block extra firm tofu
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Rice, Greens, Black Beans, Corn, Cilantro, Avocado, Limes
- To Make the Sauce: Add all the sauce ingredient to a blender and puree until smooth. Alternatively, add to a wide mouth mason jar and blend using an immersion blender.
- To Make the Tofu: In a large non-stick skillet, heat the coconut oil over medium heat until it begins to ripple.
- Crumble in the tofu with your hands, and cook until lightly golden brown 3-4 minutes.
- Add the sauce and stir to combine, until the tofu is evenly coated. If the mixture is too thick add a couple tablespoons of water to the pan.
- Allow the mixture to simmer until the sauce has reduced and tofu is beginning to caramelize, stirring often 12-15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and serve hot over top a bed of rice and greens accompanied by the remainder of the burrito bowl ingredients of your choice.
Leave a Reply